We are here to help. Call us today: 717-836-0471

Tanner Law Offices, LLC - Attorney

It’s About You And Your Future

At Tanner Law Offices, LLC, we provide the legal information, answers and advice you need to reach your goals.

What is an H-1B visa?

If you are an immigrant living in Pennsylvania, you may wish to look into the H-1B visa program as a way to gain long-term temporary access into the United States by one or more of your family members. Understand, however, that your family member will need to have a college degree or the equivalent thereof, plus superior job skills to qualify for this visa category

You also need to understand that the H-1B visa category grants your family member only temporary nonimmigrant residency in the U.S. to work in one of the following so-called STEM fields

  • Science
  • Technology
  • Engineering
  • Math

How the H-1B program works

The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services controls the number of H-1B visas available each year. Unfortunately, in 1990, the U.S. Congress set a cap of 65,000 H-1B visa numbers available each year, plus an additional 20,000 visa numbers available for foreign professional workers who have graduated from a U.S. university with a master's or doctorate degree.

Each year on the first business day of April, U.S. employers seeking highly qualified and highly skilled workers submit petitions to the USCIS. As you might expect, with only 85,000 total visas available, the demand for workers far exceeds their availability, or at least the availability of H-1B visas. In each of the past five years, it took only five days to reach the visa cap. Consequently, the USCIC holds a lottery to determine which employer petitions it will process.

Time limits

Should your family member be fortunate enough to receive an H-1B visa, (s)he will be classified as a temporary nonimmigrant worker in a specialty occupation. As such, (s)he likely will be able to stay in the U.S. for a minimum of three years, with the possibility of having his or her H-1B visa extended for an additional three years. During this time, however, (s)he may be able to adjust his or her immigration status so as to be able to remain in the U.S. permanently.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Have you had an excellent experience with our law firm? Tell us about it.

Email Us For a Response

Tell Us how we can help

Contact a lawyer today to discuss your legal issue in a consultation: Call 717-836-0471
or complete our online intake form below.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Tanner Law Offices, LLC
2145 Market Street
Camp Hill, PA 17011

Toll Free: 877-339-6988
Phone: 717-836-0471
Fax: 717-731-8115
Camp Hill Law Office Map