It’s About You And
Your Future

If you come to work in the U.S., can you bring your children?

On Behalf of | Mar 10, 2021 | Family Immigration

There are many people who immigrate to the United States to work each year. These individuals fill in positions of all kinds, from teaching roles to working in business.

Most people who come to the United States are looking to do so in the long-term or permanently. As a result, they may not want to come if they cannot bring their immediate family members. Fortunately, it is possible to bring your spouse and children to the United States to live in most cases.

How can you bring your children to live in the United States if you work there?

If you are coming to the United States with a Green Card and will be a permanent resident, you can bring your spouse and minor children to the United States in most cases. First preference family members include unmarried sons and daughters under the age of 21 who have naturalized parents. Second preference family members are the spouses and children of lawful permanent residents.

After spouses and children under the age of 21, second preference F2B family members include children over the age of 21 who are unmarried.

Third and fourth preference levels include married children of U.S. citizens and siblings of U.S. citizens.

How can family members seek a Green Card?

Qualifying family members can file Form I-485 with the help of their attorneys. These applicants may apply at the same time as the principal applicant.

Is it better to wait until you’re naturalized and a U.S. citizen to bring family to the U.S.?

It is not necessarily better, although it may be easier to do so, since your family members would have priority. For most people, applying at the same time as seeking the initial Green Card is enough to bring a spouse and minor children.

Immigration is a tough topic, but there is help to get you through the application process and to bring your qualifying family members to the United States. Apply carefully with as much information as possible, so that the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services are likely to approve your first application the first time.