Types Of Qualifying Injuries And Illnesses

When an injury or illness keeps you from working, it can cause a great deal of stress in many areas of your life. Many people wonder how they are going to pay for things if they are unable to work. This is where Social Security Disability (SSD) comes in. A federal benefits program, SSD is available to individuals whose physical or mental conditions prevent them from working on a permanent or temporary basis. The conditions must be established by a doctor and meet a certain set of criteria to allow the individual to qualify for benefits.

The Social Security Administration maintains a listing of numerous disabling conditions that, once vetted by a medical professional, may allow benefits to be approved. Below are some of the more common types of physical and mental conditions that result in SSD benefits. This is not an exhaustive list, however. It is best to discuss your specific questions and concerns about your situation, or that of a loved one, with one of our skilled lawyers at Tanner Law Offices, LLC.

Disabling Physical Conditions

Conditions that relate to a wide variety of body systems may lead to SSD qualification, including: Cancer of any kind; cardiopulmonary illnesses and conditions such as heart failure, asthma, COPD; neurological issues such as traumatic brain injury, cerebral palsy, multiple sclerosis; musculoskeletal injuries, including back injuries and spinal cord injuries; autoimmune conditions such as lupus and rheumatoid arthritis; kidney disease; digestive system conditions; vision and hearing loss; and many, many others.

Examples Of Mental Conditions

In recent years, the types of mental conditions that result in a SSD qualification have expanded. People who suffer from psychological conditions such as depression, anxiety, schizophrenia and bipolar disorder, as well as developmental disorders such as autism and Down syndrome, may be able to obtain benefits.

Get More Information From Our Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, Lawyers

There is no condition too minor to warrant a conversation about your options. Call our office at 717-836-0471 or use our online contact form to get in touch with us. We offer a consultation.