It’s About You And
Your Future

Re-Entry Permits

A Re-Entry Permit proves that a green card holder intends to maintain U.S. residency despite prolonged absences from the United States. It allows green card holders to re-enter the United States without jeopardizing their green card status. Without a Re-Entry Permit, prolonged stays outside of the U.S. could trigger questions about abandonment of residency, potentially leading to complications or even loss of green card status.

Green card holders are eligible to apply for a Re-Entry Permit if they intend to depart the United States for more than one year but less than two years, preserve their U.S. residency status, and avoid questions regarding the abandonment of their residency upon re-entry. To qualify for a Re-Entry Permit, green card holders must be physically present in the U.S. when applying for the permit. Therefore, it is important for green card holders to plan their international travel carefully to ensure compliance with the conditions of the Re-Entry Permit. This includes adhering to the permitted duration of stay abroad and avoiding any actions that could be interpreted as abandoning U.S. residency.

The application process for a Re-Entry Permit involves several steps. Green card holders must submit an application for a travel permit, along with supporting documents, to USCIS with travel plans, intended duration of stay abroad, and reasons for the extended absence. USCIS also requires applicants to attend a biometrics appointment to provide fingerprints and signatures for identity verification purposes. It is important to keep in mind that even with a Re-Entry Permit, green card holders must maintain ties to the United States to demonstrate an intent to preserve their residency upon return for the international travel. This can include maintaining employment, paying taxes, owning property, or having family members in the country.

Navigating the complexities of maintaining U.S. residency as a green card holder requires careful planning and adherence to USCIS regulations. If you want to apply for the Re-Entry Permit or you are in need of more information about your immigration case, you may want to consult an immigration attorney. The attorneys at Tanner Law Offices can assist you with your case process or need more information. Please contact our office at (717) 731-8114 to schedule a consultation to discuss your case.