It’s About You And
Your Future

Protection From Abuse Orders In Pennsylvania

A Protection From Abuse (PFA) Order is a special restraining order that can be issued by a judge to prevent further abuse by one person against another. Obtaining a PFA is a civil remedy rather than a criminal remedy. A PFA can be ordered against an abused or battered individual who suffered harm at the hands of his or her

  • Spouse or former spouse
  • Parent
  • Child or
  • Current or former sexual or intimate partner

Do not delay in getting legal help from experienced lawyers if you have been served with a PFA in Cumberland County, Dauphin County and York County, Pennsylvania. Call our domestic violence attorneys at Tanner Law Offices, LLC, in Camp Hill. Call us at 717-836-0471.

If you are in a domestic relationship (marriage or otherwise) in Harrisburg or a surrounding community and have had a PFA taken out against you, you need legal help to protect your rights. Taking out a PFA is a common tactic in divorce, particularly when a child custody dispute might arise. Fighting back may be your only chance to retain your parenting rights.

Why Would Someone Need To Apply For A PFA Against Another Person?

If an individual with the requisite relationship to the victim abuses the victim, the victim can obtain a PFA against the abuser. Abuse is defined as

  • Attempting to cause or intentionally, knowingly or recklessly causing bodily injury, serious bodily injury, rape, involuntary deviate sexual intercourse, sexual assault, statutory sexual assault, aggravated indecent assault, indecent assault or incest with a deadly weapon
  • Placing another in reasonable fear of imminent serious bodily injury
  • Falsely imprisoning the victim
  • Physically or sexually abusing minor children
  • Knowingly engaging in a course of conduct or repeatedly committing acts toward another person, including following the person, without proper authority, under circumstances that place the person in reasonable fear of bodily injury

The order for protection can be far-reaching and can include any or the following:

  • Order the other party not to abuse, threaten, stalk or harass
  • Evict or exclude the other party from the victim’s residence (even if the other party is the sole owner or only named lessee)
  • Prohibit the other party from contacting the victim (however, this does not prevent the victim from contacting the other party)
  • Provide temporary custody orders regarding the minor children of the relationship
  • Provide temporary child and/or spousal support (however, the victim must file a complaint for support with Domestic Relations within 2 weeks or the temporary support order will be deemed void)
  • Order the other party to relinquish his or her weapons and prohibiting him or her from acquiring or possessing any other weapons for the duration of the PFA
  • Direct the other party to reimburse the victim for any out of pocket costs and expenses, which were incurred as a result of the abuse
  • Direct the other party to attend batterer’s counseling programs; obtain a substance abuse evaluation; undergo a mental health evaluation
  • Any other remedy that the judge may deem appropriate to prevent future abuse

Call us at 717-836-0471or use our convenient email contact form to arrange a consultation about protecting your rights.