We are here to help. Call us today: 717-836-0471


We are here to help. Call us today: 717-836-0471

Tanner Law Offices is now accepting office consultations at the Camp Hill location. Masks are required for entry and we look forward to meeting with you to understand and advise on your situation.

It’s About You And Your Future

At Tanner Law Offices, LLC, we provide the legal information, answers and advice you need to reach your goals.

Q Visas

Q visas are intended for nonimmigrants who plan to work in an international cultural exchange program designated by the Department of Homeland Security.  The cultural aspect, rather the mere employment, of a Q visa holder’s job must be an “essential and integral” part of their duties.  An individual must meet the following requirements to be eligible for a Q visa:

  1. Be at least 18 years of age;
  2. Be qualified to perform the service, labor, or training required by their intended job; and
  3. Be able to communicate effectively about their country’s culture with the American public.

Employers petition for Q visas for their prospective international employees. An employer must meet the following requirements to be eligible to petition for Q visas for the prospective employees:

  1. They must provide evidence demonstrating that they run an established international cultural exchange program;
  2. They must provide evidence demonstrating that the program activities take place in a school, museum, business or other establishment where the American public, or a segment of the public sharing a common cultural interest, is exposed to aspects of a foreign culture as part of a structured program;
  3. They must have designated a qualified employee to administer the program and serve as liaison with USCIS;
  4. They must be actively engaged in business in the United States;
  5. They must offer the nonimmigrant employee wages and working conditions which are comparable to those provided to local workers who are employed in similar positions; and
  6. They must have the financial capacity to pay the nonimmigrant employees taking part in their cultural exchange program, as shown by a copy of the employer’s most recent annual report, business income tax return or other form of certified accountant’s report.

Q visas are granted for up to fifteen (15) months.  When the period of stay has elapsed, the Q visa holder must depart the United States within thirty (30) days and must stay outside of the United States for at least one (1) year prior to applying for another Q visa.  The Q visa category does not provide for derivative visas for spouses or children, so if a Q visa holder wishes to have their spouse and/or child(ren) accompany them, their spouse and/or child(ren) will need to qualify for their own visa(s) under a different visa status.

If you are interested in learning more about Q visas, contact Tanner Law Offices at 717-731-8114 to schedule a consultation with one of our attorneys.


Explore our
Family Law
Services »