Naturalization And Citizenship
Once an individual has been a Lawful Permanent Resident for a period of five (5) years, he or she can apply for Naturalization in order to become a U.S. Citizen. Spouses of U.S. Citizens, can apply after having been married to the U.S. Citizen and having been a Lawful Permanent Resident for a period of three (3) years. In order to qualify to become a Naturalized U.S. Citizen, in addition to having the requisite time as a Lawful Permanent Resident, the applicant will have to:
- Be at least 18 years old
- Must have resided for at least 3 months in the state where the Naturalization application will be filed
- Must have been physically present in the United States for at least half of the requisite time as a Lawful Permanent Resident
- Must reside continuously in the United States from the date of filing the application until the date of admission as a U.S. Citizen (some exceptions apply)
- The Applicant must be a person of good moral character
- The Applicant must be willing to bear arms for the United States and be attached to the principles of the U.S. Constitution
- The Applicant must demonstrate a working knowledge of the English language and pass a U.S. Civics and History test
- The English language requirement will be waived for individuals who are over 50 years old and have lived in the United States for at least 20 years as a Lawful Permanent Resident; and for individuals who are at least 55 years old and have lived in the United States for at least 15 years as Lawful Permanent Resident
- Individuals who are over age 65 and have lived in the United States for at least 20 years as a Lawful Permanent Resident may also take a shorter civics exam in their native language rather than in English
With every rule there seems to be an exception to the rule. The same is true with immigration law. The experienced attorneys at Tanner Law Offices, LLC, have the knowledge and skills to help you achieve your goals of residence and citizenship in the United States.
Contact us by email or by calling 717-836-0471 to set up an appointment. Tanner Law Offices, LLC, is located in Camp Hill near Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, and provides immigration services for immigrants throughout Central Pennsylvania.