It’s About You And
Your Future

Uniting for Ukraine: Parole for Ukrainians

On April 21, 2022, the U.S. announced a new program entitled “Uniting for Ukraine.” Under Uniting for Ukraine, individuals in lawful status in the United States can now apply to sponsor displaced Ukrainians for temporary permission to enter and remain in the U.S. For this program, parole is being granted to eligible Ukrainians for a period of two years.

Anyone in lawful status in the U.S. (including, but not limited to, U.S. Citizens, Lawful Permanent Residents (“green card” holders), individuals in Temporary Protected Status (TPS), individuals holding valid nonimmigrant status, parolees, asylees, refugees, and beneficiaries of deferred action including DACA) can file a Declaration of Financial Support for an eligible Ukrainian and their immediate family members under this new program. Sponsors must declare their intention and ability to receive, maintain, and support the Ukrainian national that they wish to sponsor. To be eligible, the Ukrainian national must: not already be in the United States, have resided in Ukraine immediately before Russia invaded (through February 11, 2022), have been displaced as a result of the invasion, and have a valid Ukrainian passport.

Individuals granted parole through this process will be authorized to enter and remain in the United States for a temporary period of two years. During the two-year period, they will be permitted to apply for discretionary employment authorization. Parole is not a pathway to permanent residency or any other permanent immigration status, however, obtaining parole does not prevent the parolee from pursuing any other immigration applications for which they are independently eligible for.

The attorneys at Tanner Law Offices are experienced in representing clients before the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) and can assist you or your loved ones in the process of sponsoring a displaced Ukrainian. Please Contact our office or contact our office at 717-836-0471 to schedule a consultation to discuss your case.