It’s About You And
Your Future

B-1 Temporary Business Visitor Visas

Individuals from foreign countries may be eligible to apply for a B-1 visa if they will be coming to the United States for a temporary purpose of participating in a specific, limited business or professional activity. B-1 visas are typically granted for individuals who will be participating in the following business activities, in either a commercial or professional capacity:

  • Consulting
  • Traveling for a scientific, educational, professional or business convention/conference
  • Settling an estate
  • Negotiating a contract
  • Participating in short-term training
  • Transiting through the U.S.

Applicants must complete a Form I-94, and demonstrate the following at the port of entry where an immigration official will determine if they are permitted to enter the U.S.:

  • The purpose of the trip is to enter the U.S. for legitimate business
  • The applicant intends to remain in the U.S. for a specific, limited period of time
  • The applicant has funds to cover the expenses of the trip and their stay in the U.S.
  • The applicant has a residence outside of the U.S. that they intend to maintain and not abandon
  • The applicant has binding ties, such as family members and an employer outside of the U.S. to be honored that will ensure the applicant’s return to their family and commitments at the conclusion of their visit in the U.S.

The applicant, if approved, is permitted to stay, initially, for up to six months, depending upon the time requested in the application and the length of the business or professional obligation. The applicant may seek to extend their stay for an additional six; however, the maximum total permitted in their trip is typically one year.

Family of B-1 visa holders, such as spouses and dependent children, must file a separate B-2 visa application, and are not eligible for a dependent visa pursuant to the business professional’s B-1 visa.

Contact the attorneys at Tanner Law Offices, LLC, at 717-836-0471 to schedule a consultation to discuss the specifics of your B-1 visas needs.