J-1 Visas

Individuals who desire to participate in an approved program for the purpose of:

  • Teaching/lecturing/instructing
  • Studying
  • Observing
  • Conducting research
  • Consulting
  • Receiving training
  • Receiving graduate medical education/training

may be eligible for the Exchange Visitor Program that has been designated by the Department of State. The Department of State determines and approves certain public and private entities to act as exchange sponsors. The programs are designed to promote the exchange of persons, knowledge and skills in the field of education, arts, and sciences.

Exchange visitors include:

  • Professors
  • Research Assistants
  • Students
  • Trainees
  • Teachers
  • Specialists
  • Nannies/Au Pairs
  • Camp counselors

To apply, the individual must submit Form DS-2019, Certificate of Eligibility for Exchange Visitor Status, which is provided by the sponsoring agency. Once obtained, the individual must apply through the U.S. Department of State at a U.S. Embassy or consulate. The individual should submit their application as early as possible to avoid a lengthy wait time that may interfere with the commencement of their program. Once approved, the individual may not enter the U.S. in J-1 status more than 30 days before their program begins.

J-1 non-immigrants may be permitted to work while in the U.S., depending upon the terms of their exchange program. For example, nannies, au pairs, researchers, professors, teachers and camp counselors, entered the U.S. to work. However, other J-1 non-immigrants may have restrictions from working during their stay in the U.S.

Spouses and unmarried children under 21 are entitled to J-2 classifications. Further, J-2 individuals may apply for work authorizations, but their income cannot be used to support J-1 individuals.

Contact the attorneys at Tanner Law Offices, LLC to discuss exchange visitor visas.

Family Immigration

Explore our
Services »

Family Law

Explore our
Family Law
Services »

Contact Us